My name is Corey Ballou and I'm a 39 year old web developer turned technical executive living in Charlotte, NC. My passion for software development started back in middle school. These were the days of Geocities and Angelfire: when CSS didn't exist, layouts were synonymous with nested tables, and frames were cool.
I have a lengthy, 20+ year history in IT. In my last role, I developed and managed innovative fiat and crypto rail solutions as the CTO of Unbanked. We were an industry and US trend-setter, paving the way for the future of fintech. Our mission was unfortunately cut short due to the economic downturn and SEC strong-arming of crypto friendly banks in the US.
I'm an early adopter and avid fan of blockchain technologies, crypto fintechs, startups, and domaining. I was previously the CEO of POP.co, where we helped entrepreneurs and SMBs get their ideas up and online fast with a custom domain, email address, and webpage in under 5 minutes. Before that I was the lead developer of GO.CO up until we were acquired by Neustar. Prior to this, I set out on my own as a freelance web developer and founded my own custom web applications development consultancy, Craft Blue, which is still in operation today. And then there was mojoLive, which was a short lived stint with a very cool startup that unfortunately ran out of funding.
My initial foray into post-collegiate work was a combined five years with two very talented, very creative web design and development agencies: MODE and Skookum. These opportunities gave me an early appreciation for prioritization, simplification, and avoiding early over-engineering.
Some other factoids for your amusement:
- I'm a proud father of two young boys.
- I was an active web3 anon from early '21.
- I grew up in Vermont.
- My first computer was a Compaq Presario.
- My first home internet connection was via a 14.4K dialup modem.
- I got our family kicked off of AOL for phishing and warez.
- My first dabble with programming was with Visual Basic and Perl.
- I ran my first domain name, a snowboard site, in the 6th grade.
- My first snowboard was a neon Burton Air directional.
- I used to raise a flock of free-range chickens.
- I love a good microbrew.
My background lends itself to a jack of all trades innovative engineering leader and manager. I have over 20 years experience requirements gathering, speccing, building, launching, and managing dozens of custom web applications; more than most industry veterans could ever hope to achieve.
I'm a leader and mentor by nature: driven to help others succeed. I'm the former co-organizer of the Queen City PHP meetup group in Charlotte. I'm a top 0.5% contributor to StackOverflow. I used to own and operate two circulating development blogs early in my career: Blackbe.lt and JQueryin'. One of the predominant reasons I'm so well respected by my colleagues and peers is I share an extensive background of being in their shoes.
public speaking & coverage
- 06/21/2016 - StackOverflow: The Importance of Open Source Projects to Developers
- 11/01/2015 - The Future of POP is Bright
- 11/20/2013 - For Website Creator Pop.co, APIs Spell Developer Liberation
- 07/22/2013 - PHP Interview With Corey Ballou Co-Organizer Of The Queen City PHP Meetup Group – Start A Web Development Blog & Write About New Things You Learn
- 07/06/2013 - Nomad PHP July 2013: Corey Ballou - Creating Realtime Applications with PHP and Websockets
- 07/17/2012 - Programmer Helps Narrow List of Decent Five and Six Letter Available Domains
- 06/02/2010 - Wikipedia: Clickjacking